Maintenance Worker I - Utility Line Maintenance (Sewer)
Company: Town of Flower Mound
Location: Flower Mound
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Under direct supervision, performs various routine and
repetitive tasks to construct, repair, and maintain the Town's
water distribution, wastewater collection systems, and other water
and sewer utility operations.
Examples of Duties
- Constructs, maintains, and replaces water or sewer mains and/or
service lines; inspects, diagnoses, and repairs failures in water
and sewer mains; operates various construction equipment; builds
and adjusts manholes and clean-outs; installs and repairs fire
hydrants and valves; prepares trenches; rods and cleans sewer
lines; excavates water and sewer mains and services, exposing them
- Excavates trenches and ditches for the installation of new
mains and/or service lines.
- Operates sewer cleaning equipment, as needed, to clean mains,
services, manholes, and spills.
- Disassembles, cleans, repairs, replaces, and tests defective or
worn parts on water meters.
- Maintains water leaks and sewer lines; installs and changes
water meters and pit pads; and performs other water distribution,
production, and collection tasks.
- Performs general maintenance duties to include completing work
order tickets for each task performed.
- Operates various light to heavy construction equipment and
tools to include tractors, backhoes, dump trucks, sewer machine,
jack hammers, water main tapping machine, air compressors,
trailers, compactors, weed-eaters, augers, tillers, welders, cut
off saws, vehicles, power tools, and hand held tools.
- Works safely when working in close proximity to high speed
vehicle traffic areas, along medians, right of ways, etc.
- Conducts daily inspections and preventative maintenance
measures of vehicles, equipment, and tools such as washing,
checking safe and proper operation, and servicing; checking fluid
levels lubrication, point check, tire pressure check, cleaning
filters and screens, cleaning of wind shields; insure road
worthiness by checking the operation and presence of all lights,
horns, braking systems, wipers, road hazard equipment, securing
loads and other items required by the Dept. of Transportation
before allowing equipment onto public roads.
- Identifies and informs supervisor of potential hazards,
liability exposures, problem areas, public inquiries of the general
public, and the status of work activities.
- Adheres to personnel, safety, and department policies and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is
- Must be able to complete and pass the written test for a valid
Texas CDL "B" Driver's License with airbrakes and with proper
endorsements within 90 days of hire. You must provide proof of your
scheduled driving test appointment with the Texas Department of
Public Safety to your supervisor within 90 days from the day you
pass the written test. Your driving record must be in compliance
with Town policy.
- Related utility operation or equipment operation work
experience is preferred.
Must submit to and pass a post-offer, non-regulated drug test
and thorough background checks (including criminal history).
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Must be skilled in operating heavy to light construction
equipment, vehicles, small power tools, and equipment in a safe and
- Must be able to exercise good judgment; make competent
decisions; handle multiple projects; meet deadlines; and work well
under pressure and stress.
- Must work extensive hours and respond within 30 minutes to an
on-call or emergency callback as required.
- Must be able to talk, read, see, walk, hear, and follow oral
and written directives.
- Must also have good hand, foot, and eye coordination to operate
- Must be able to operate maintenance equipment; perform
strenuous physical activities to include, exerting up to 100 lbs.
of pressure, lift up to 100 lbs. of equipment several times a day,
and lifting heavy objects; shoveling; crawling; bending; kneeling;
climbing on and off equipment; and operating vibrating
- Must be able to work indoors, underground, outdoors, in
confined spaces, in trenches, on level, slippery, sloping,
unstable, and muddy terrain, and under constantly noisy conditions;
and work in adverse environmental conditions to include inclement
weather such as rain, sleet, snow, heat, sun exposure, dust/mist,
and hazardous conditions such as street traffic, exposure to
insects, noxious plants, and snakes.
Keywords: Town of Flower Mound, Flower Mound , Maintenance Worker I - Utility Line Maintenance (Sewer), Other , Flower Mound, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!