Executive Director, Design System, Accessibility & QA
Location: Flower Mound
Posted on: August 8, 2022
Purpose of JobUSAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate
the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and
their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to
innovative thinking at every level.
This role aligns Company, Enterprise, and CoSA and strategic
objectives to maximize the discovery, delivery, and performance of
digital/technology solutions and products. Responsible for
overseeing all design functions for one or more member, employee,
enterprise or enablement experience domains. Manages multiple
concurrent teams through all stages of development: from empathy
and ideation to final coding/deployment and is responsible for
overall quality and design vision. Critical steward of planning,
defining, designing and executing new creative solutions primarily
within the digital channels and platforms. Builds, inspires,
motivates, and leads a team of talented Design Directors, their
respective teams and plays a key contributor role in driving a
design-led culture throughout USAA. Participates in the development
of strategic plans for the ongoing evolution of the Chief Design
REMOTE WORK IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.Job Requirements
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Role models USAA's mission, core values, culture and desired
behaviors - including a culture of risk and regulatory awareness
and accountability balanced with innovation and member-service
- Oversees research, creation and development of concepts that
aligns employee and members' needs with business or enterprise
objectives, while advancing USAA transformation into a design-led
- Leads the design review and approval process and ensures
consistent alignment with USAA and industry design standards and
- Supports a culture of transparency and healthy challenge via
design critique, continuous learning and accountability for high
standards of quality.
- Partners with and influences Enterprise, IT, and Business
Leaders to define, plan, design, and monitor touchpoints within
assigned spaces across all digital channels.
- Works in very close collaboration with other Executive
Directors of Design to create breadth as well as depth of knowledge
- Collaborates with other design domain teams and/or DesignOps,
Design Language Systems and Design Practice teams (these 3 areas
are collectively known as Design Enablement) to drive
transformation by establishing and delivering design concepts and
final solutions that enable elegant solutions to business problems
through employee and member empathy.
- Identifies new and improved ways to manage the digital creative
process, as new platforms and technologies evolve.
- Develops and ensures a consistent application of design and
- Develops talent in the design department to deliver performance
and results - including the identification, development and
retention of talent with requisite design capabilities.
- Holds self and teams accountable for meeting commitments by
setting and clearly communicating expectations and roles and
responsibilities relative to design operations and services. -
- Owns the relationship management responsibilities for internal
business executives and external design agencies for their area of
- Builds and leads high-performing design teams by attracting and
hiring the best talent and providing a nurturing yet challenging
- Bachelor's Degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in
addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be
substituted in lieu of degree.
- 10 years of progressive related design experience developing
digital product and experience strategies, managing major
initiatives and delivering compelling design solutions within a
complex matrix environment. -
- 4 years of direct design team leadership or leading matrixed or
cross-functional creative teams and experience in building,
managing and/or developing high performing design teams. -
- Demonstrated experience in digital product and/or service
design, experience design, design research and human center design
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders,
influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
- Fluency in current design and interaction standards across
- Excellent communication, presentation and organizational
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business
operations, industry practices and emerging trends.Preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in leading the product, creative,
technical, and future direction of a world-class -Design
- Experience developing design and system thinking,
human-centered workflows, processes, frameworks and operation
models that enable designers to deliver their best work
consistently and efficiently. - -
- Expertise in driving Design System adoption and capability
roadmaps to solve the collective needs of a large enterprise
through collaboration, iteration and feedback.
- Proven experience in -leading, building, launching, and
maintaining -large-scale multi-platform design system initiatives,
including -best practices and processes around governance and
- Expert understanding of the intersection of development,
design, and business needs that are the underpinning of a
successful -Design System.
- Ability to influence how the Design System needs to grow,
evolve, and scale to match the demands of -consumers.
- Strong knowledge and proficiency with multi-channel industry
standards and best practices.
- Deep understanding and demonstrated experience with
Accessibility both broadly and in digital ecosystems.
- Ability to guide strong Quality Assurance (QA) practices that
review the proper use of a complex Design System.
- Expertise in recognizing strategic intent and leading
collaborative sessions with other leaders and executives that drive
towards new opportunities with greater, more impactful,
- Ability to understand team proficiency needs with -development
methodologies, common technical frameworks (e.g., React, Angular,
Vanilla, etc.), and various tools that support the creative and
technical needs of design systems -and accessibility -(e.g., Design
System Manager, Figma, Storybook, GitLab, -DialogFlow).
- Proven ability to curate and document risk controls in
collaboration with business partners to ensure compliance with
relevant regulatory and operational requirements.
- Demonstrated ability with recruiting, hiring, and retaining
multidisciplinary design/development teams.
- Executive level writing, communication and presentation
- Expert ability to think strategically while collaborating
- Experience with Service Design a plus.
- Familiarity with banking, insurance and investment (financial
industry) a plus.Compensation:USAA has an effective process for
assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain
competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your
experience and market position. The salary range for this position
is: $155,400.00-207,200.00-279,800.00.Employees may be eligible for
pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual
performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Directors.Long Term Incentive Plan: Cash payment for Executive
level roles only, representing a cash payment which is both time
and performance based.Benefits:At USAA our employees enjoy
best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and
emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical,
dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental
benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid
holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness
programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing
education assists employees with their professional goals.Please
click on the link below for more details.
Keywords: USAA, Flower Mound , Executive Director, Design System, Accessibility & QA, Executive , Flower Mound, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!